Outdoor Literature – Practice Quiz for Henry David Thoreau’s Walden
This is a practice quiz on the first two pages of the Thoreau reading (Anthology of the Outdoor Experience, pages 7-8) . It will help you get a feel for the type of quizzes given at the start of each class period. The answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. Where does Walden take place:
D. North Dakota
2. True or False. In Walden, Thoreau includes references to old literature. Included among those are references to Greek Mythology.
3. At the very beginning of Walden, who is Thoreau addressing his remarks?
B. Labor Unions
C. Religious Leaders
4. True or False. Thoreau never uses the pronoun “I” in the selection that you read.
5. Thoreau mentions the “Sandwich Islanders.” Who are they?
6. True or False. During Thoreau’s life slavery was still practiced particularly in the South. However, in the selection you read, he never refers to it.
7. Thoreau talks about how long he lived alongside Walden pond. How long was it?
B. 15 years
C. 20 years
D. 2 years
8. True or False. Thoreau lived alone by the shores of Walden Pond in a cabin that he built with his own hands.
(Answers at bottom of page)
Answers:1 - C, 2 - T, 3 - A, 4 - F, 5 - B, 6 - F, 7 - D, 8 - T
Return to: Outdoor Literature Course Main Page